Thursday, February 4, 2010

Watch out where the huskies go

The Dutch, so good at recycling and social welfare, can't seem to get their act together on one thing: no one picks up after their dogs. Maybe the right wing in America has a point; perhaps this is the real effect of a government that actually helps its people. They expect everything to be done for them. If it means America's going to end up covered in dog poo, then I'd think twice about socialized medicine. And recycling.

Life in Maastricht is beginning to feel normal. I have class a grueling 3 days a week. The Dutch all seem so overworked, and now I see why. The University Maastricht uses Problem Based Learning, essentially discussion sections led by students which are then supplemented by occasional lectures. Since I rarely shut up in class, I really enjoy this newfound freedom. My classes (The European State, Dutch) are interesting and very different from what I've experienced, which is a good thing.

I've begun to settle into routines - going to class, doing my homework, buying beer. Normal is definitely not boring, though. I still manage to get lost roaming the streets, but unlike in America, where city roaming carries an element of danger, Maastricht just has more and more interesting history. I've found buildings dating back over 1000 years, remnants of the old city wall - complete with cannons -, an outdoor art exhibit featuring a life-size dead giraffe, ceramic legs artfully splayed, and a statue of D'artagnan (the fourth musketeer, who apparently did something in Maastricht). The giraffe is probably the weirdest of all, as about 20 feet, ahem, 6 metres away sits a statue of bear with his head in his hands, presumably mourning the giraffe. Not really a fun place to go at night if you're spooked easily. Still, it's better than Milwaukee's statue of the Fonz.

The sun came out yesterday for the first time since I've been here, and I celebrated by playing tennis (with balls possibly as old as the city itself) and desperately trying to get a tan. You know, so I can fit in with all the tan Scandinavians. Actually, they should feel at home. As befits my luck, these past 2 weeks have been the snowiest Maastricht has seen since 1979. No wonder it feels like home already.

I still feel under-dressed everywhere I go. But then I remember that I'm Amuhrican, and I don't care what those Europagans think. Or something like that. I am looking to get a scarf though, but I'll probably stay away from the skinny jeans and pointed shoes.

I'm going to Amsterdam in about an hour. Should be a fun weekend. As always, keep me updated on all of your lives. I like hearing from people.

4 comments:

  1. Cave in to the skinny jeans and pointed shoes, and then when you get back to the US everyone will be satisfyingly astonished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scarf? No scarf. T-shirt and shorts with Chuck Taylors every day, no exceptions. This is America.
    On an unrelated note, our Emily Berk messed up the ganja thing. She said Mary Jane. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Megs. You'd look oh so fetching.

    ReplyDelete